Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The strangest thing just happened to me



I wasn't really sure of where I was going. A couple of hours ago I thought I was walking towards Benton Hall, the place where I worked. The next thing I knew I was trodding on a cassava plantation...



I clearly remember waking up early and having a bad headache that morning. That's usually a warning that I'm going to have a bad day ahead of me. I was going down to take a shower when I saw the landlady waiting for me in the hallway towards the bathroom. She's going to remind me again to pay my rent that's for sure, I thought and that's what she did. A bad day it was, alright. I just told her I'll see how much cash I can come up with next week and she let me off. That's what I always told her anyway everytime my rent is overdue. I wish times weren't so hard these days so I won't have bad days like this.

It was drizzling when I came out of the house. Something was odd. People were usually busy in the morning in the old neigborhood of Krus na Ligas, but not today. Not a single soul was out. Perhaps it was the weather. It was unusually cold. The Angel's Burger stand near the plaza which was usually open 24 hours a day was closed. I passed by Sarah's and crossed the street. Not a single car passed C. P. Garcia Avenue. Could it be that aliens have abducted all the people in Krus na Ligas? The old landlady and I being the only people left in the neighborhood wasn't a very pleasing prospect.

The heavy downpour started when I was already near the UP Press building. I ran towards the nearest waiting shed where I saw two men talking to each other. Great. At least my alien abduction theory didn't turn out to be true. I surmised they were construction workers from how they looked. They were talking about a fire near Pook Palaris that happed last night. There was also an old man there carrying a big blue umbrella. The two workers and the old man went their own ways as the rain abated.

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home